Were You or a Loved One Injured in an Accident in Hudson County, NJ?

Being injured in an accident can affect your life for years to come. If you or a loved one has been injured, you owe it to yourself to find out if you are entitled to financial compensation. At the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C., we represent accident victims throughout Hudson County, and we can make sure you receive the compensation you deserve.

If you were injured in an accident, your child was injured at birth, or an elderly family member is suffering due to negligent care in a nursing home, do you know how to protect you or your loved one’s rights? Most people don’t know what to do, and as a result they feel paralyzed – helpless to seek the compensation to which they are legally entitled.

It is unfortunate that so many people live their lives not knowing what could have been, because the answer is simple: All you need is an experienced personal injury lawyer. At the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C., we have helped countless clients in Hudson County and throughout New Jersey stand up for their rights, and we can help you win the compensation that you deserve.

10 Common Questions about Personal Injury Claims in Hudson County, NJ

1. How Do I Know if I Am Entitled to Financial Compensation?

In most personal injury cases, the general rule is that accident victims will be entitled to financial compensation if another person or company was “negligent” in causing the accident to occur. Texting or falling asleep behind the wheel, failing to clean up a spill, administering an improper dose of anesthesia or medication – these are all common examples of negligence that can lead to claims for compensation.

But, in some cases, proof of negligence is not required. For example, if you were injured by a defective product or you were attacked by someone else’s dog, you may have a claim under the rule of “strict” (automatic) liability. The law is complex, and the best way to learn about your rights is to speak with an experienced accident and injury lawyer.

2. What Should I Look for in a Personal Injury Law Firm?

When choosing a personal injury law firm, you want experience, and you want proven results. At the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C., our attorneys have decades of experience, and we have secured millions of dollars in compensation for our clients.

You also want a firm that will provide personalized legal representation. Many personal injury firms focus on “processing” claims for quick settlements, without taking into consideration the unique facts that can help their clients maximize their losses. We make getting to know our clients a top priority – it is your case, and we want to make sure you receive the compensation that you deserve.

3. What Types of Cases Does Your Law Firm Handle?

Our NJ injuryattorneys handle a wide variety of personal injury claims throughout Hudson County, New Jersey. Some of the types of cases we most frequently handle include the following:

4. How Much Will it Cost to Hire You To Take My Case?

At the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C., we handle all personal injury claims in Hudson County, NJ on a contingency-fee basis. This means a few things:

  • You will not be asked to pay a retainer,
  • You will never receive a monthly bill, and
  • You only pay us a portion of your recovery if we help you win financial compensation.

As a result, it will not cost you anything out of pocket to hire us for your claim. In addition, if we obtain a settlement offer, we will make sure you know exactly how much you will be taking home so that you can make an informed decision about settling your case.

5. How Much Compensation Can I Expect to Recover?

This question is difficult to answer, because every case is unique in many different ways. However, what we can tell you is that we will conduct a thorough investigation and make sure you receive a thorough diagnosis so that we can seek full compensation for your injuries and losses. In many cases, this will include:

  • Medical bills – Any bills you have already paid plus any that are outstanding for treatment related to your injury.
  • Future medical expenses – Many accident victims need multiple surgeries and require multiple follow-up visits as well as long-term rehabilitation and therapy.
  • Prescription costs – Your current prescriptions as well as medications you may need in the future to manage pain or aid in your recovery.
  • Lost wages – You are entitled to compensation for time you missed from work due to your injuries (i.e., while you were in the hospital or at home but unable to work).
  • Lost future earning capacity – If your injury will prevent you from returning to work, you may be entitled to compensation for your lost future income as well.
  • Pain and suffering – This is a common form of “noneconomic” loss among accident victims with serious injuries.
  • Emotional distress – Many traumatic accident victims also experience immediate and lasting emotional distress.
  • Scarring and disfigurement – If your injuries result in permanent scarring, loss of a limb, or other disfigurement, this is an additional type of compensable loss.
  • Loss of companionship, consortium, and enjoyment of life – Many accident victims suffer lasting consequences that extend far beyond the physical effects of their injuries.

6. Is it True that Most Cases Are Resolved Through the Insurance Companies?

Yes. The vast majority of personal injury cases settle through the at-fault party’s insurance company without ever going to court. Even when cases do go to trial, it is usually the insurance company that is disputing the victim’s claim (and that ultimately pays if the judge or jury rules in the victim’s favor).

7. What if I was Partially at Fault in the Accident?

Never assume you were at fault in an accident! Determining fault requires a thorough investigation and sound application of the law to the facts at hand. Experienced lawyers will often disagree about which party was at fault (or “negligent”), and you do not want to start making assumptions that might prevent you from standing up for your legal rights.

But, let’s just say for the sake of example that you were partially at fault. Can you still seek compensation?

Yes! In New Jersey, as long as you were not more at fault than the other party, you will still be able to file a claim to recover at least a portion of your losses.

8. Are There Steps I Need to Be Taking to Protect My Legal Rights?

Yes. If you believe that you may be entitled to financial compensation, there are important steps you need to take to protect your rights. For example, you should take plenty of photos, you should seek medical attention for your injuries, and you should follow your doctor’s advice.

Just as importantly, there are mistakes you need to avoid as well. One of the biggest ones is talking to anyone other than your lawyer about what you think happened in the accident.

For more information, read our guide: What to Do After a NJ Auto Accident.

9. How Long Do I Have to File My Claim?

In New Jersey, in most cases, the “statute of limitations” for personal injury claims is two years from the date of the accident. However, there are several exceptions, and waiting to speak with an injury attorney could hinder your ability to seek maximum compensation.

On the other hand, it is never too soon to speak with a lawyer about protecting your legal rights. At the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C., it costs you nothing to get advice about your personal injury claim, and we encourage you to schedule a free consultation as soon as possible.

10. How Do I Get Started Protecting My Legal Rights?

The best way to get started protecting your legal rights is to schedule your free consultation at the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C. We regularly meet with accident victims in Hudson County, and we are more than happy to sit down with you to discuss your claim for compensation. If you have a claim, we will get started immediately, launching an investigation and letting the insurance adjusters know that they will be dealing with us for the remainder of your claim.

Schedule a Free Consultation with a Hudson County, NJ Personal Injury Lawyers Today

If you would like to speak with one of our personal injury attorneys about your claim, contact us to get started with your free, no-obligation consultation in Hudson County. Call (201) 928-0300 or tell us about your accident online to request an appointment today.