Avoid Having Points Assessed in New Jersey

Legal Representation for Drivers in Bergen and Hudson Counties

If you’re convicted of a moving violation in New Jersey, the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) will penalize you by adding points to your driving record.

The Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C. has over two decades of experience in defending drivers accused of moving violations. We may help you avoid being convicted and assessed points, or reduce the number of points assessed.

A point schedule specifies the number of points assessed for a long list of moving violations. For example, five points are normally assessed for offenses like racing on the highway, tailgating, reckless driving, and improper passing of a school bus. You can also be assessed points for moving violations committed outside of New Jersey.

If you accumulate 12 or more points on your current driving record, your license may be suspended.

If you accumulate six or more points within three years, you will be assessed a surcharge of $150 plus $25 for each point over six. A surcharge is a special fine assessed by the MVC, and is in addition to any other fines or penalties.

You can also receive surcharges for driving without a license, driving with a suspended licenses, failing to insure a moped, or operating an uninsured vehicle. Additionally, the MVC will assess a substantial surcharge for Driving Under the Influence (DUI) or refusing to take a breathalyzer test.

If you fail to pay your surcharges, the Motor Vehicle Commission will suspend your driving privileges indefinitely and take action against you in New Jersey Superior Court. The MVC may be able to secure a lien against your property or garnish your wages.

Although the MVC maintains permanent records of the points you’ve earned, it’s possible to earn point reductions by remaining free of violations and suspensions for one year or by taking driving courses approved by the Motor Vehicle Commission.

Contact the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C. to discuss your options when you receive a ticket for a moving violation.